My First Art Opening

The painting continues...time is moving quickly these days...





Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Is painting a dead art?

I used to think so. I always thought that painting was a great way to express yourself, but I wondered if the art form could have any validity in our modern world.
Digital media is all around and I too enjoy using computer programs like 3D Studio, AutoCad, Photoshop and Illustrator to create digital art for both work and personal projects.

With that said, creating a painting is hands on, expressive and immediate. The motion of your hand and the smell of the paint makes it so real and, for me, almost spiritual. The finished product is a one of a kind, personal piece that will last a very long time. Put varnish on it and it could last a 100 years or more without fading. Photographs and digital prints have a limited longevity and lack the tactile qualities of a painting.

I think that painting will always be a valid art form because of it's unique presence and singularity.
Hand crafted objects and art will always be a welcome things in this world of overwhelming technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment