My First Art Opening

The painting continues...time is moving quickly these days...





Saturday, June 9, 2012

Self Portrait via New Art Tech

This is me after dealing with my unemployment situation.
Actually, it is a cartoon version of me that I "constructed" on the Wacom Bamboo digital tablet and Sketchbook Pro (Autodesk).  I took a photo of myself and traced over it to get the line work and then added some color.  The program is similar to Photoshop in that it lets you create layers.
For $70, it is a good sketching and coloring tool.
I am hoping to do some graphic novel work at some point.
This is a freaky and severe image of me, but it was a good test of the technology.  Click on the image to get a better idea of the detail.
 I was going for a graphic novel feel to the self portrait and it is close.  I have a tendency to got too light when I draw and this carried through with this technique. 



The Wacom pad works fairly well, although I imagine that the large versions (much more expensive) allow for more fluid hand motions.  For $100, the Bamboo is impressive and I would recommend it as your entry level pad.  Like anything, it takes some practice to get the hang of it.  I find that having the pad in my lap and sketching as if it were a paper sketch pad seems to be the most natural.

Sketchbook Pro has so many options for pencils, pens and brushes.  I like using the pencil to do the line work vs. the pens.
My motivation to use this technology vs. drawing on a pad and scanning the image in is to eliminate the middle man.  
With a little more practice, I think this may be the trick.
Yes, I could have done an oil painting, but then I would need to photograph it.
It is crazy how far we have come.  As much as I enjoy playing with the new tech, I still like the hands on stuff more.

No comments:

Post a Comment